Monday, May 10, 2010

Overcoming Barriers

Today's post is going to be short.  I apologize for the lack of posts the last couple days, but I had two final exams, and yesterday was mother's day.  It's been busy, to say the least. 

Being sick and busy makes it tough to get to the gym.  But it's important.  If I can make time to go, anyone can make time to go.  I was able to get there this evening.  I never have as much time as I'd like, and I have to maximize my time while there.  I usually run on the treadmill.  It's the best calorie burn for the time. 

One thing that I like about running is that it offers me a new challenge every day.  Every time I run, I have the opportunity to break a new personal record.  Today I did just that.  My previous "vigorous activity" level for one day was 25 minutes, which means I ran for a total of 25 minutes that day.  Today, I wanted to do better.

I ran for ten straight minutes again, which is pretty good for me.  I'm getting better endurance, and am feeling much better when I run.  But becuase my time was limited, I skipped one of the most important parts of my work out - stretching.  I started to cramp after 22 minutes or so, and had to stop to stretch.  I showed 18 minutes of vigorous activity on my BodyMedia FIT.  Dang it!  I was fatiguing too.  I didn't feel like getting back on the treadmill.  But I did.  I needed another 8 minutes of running to beat my previous best.  I set my time for 8 minutes, turned on some good tunes, and ran.  I wanted to stop after 3 minutes.  I felt like my legs were on fire after 6 minutes.  But nothing could feel as good as hitting that 8 minute mark and knowing I had just set a new "personal best". 

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here becuase really, running for 26 minutes is not something to brag about.  But what is important was that I broke down my old barrier.  Every barrier is a challenge, not a stumbling block.  Everyone has a barrier.

When I began, I didn't think I could run on a treadmill becuase I was afraid to break it.  I was afraid.  But not anymore.  Every day is a new challenge and a new obstacle.  And every day is a chance for a victory.  Sieze the opportunity, embrace it, and claim the new you.

3 comments:

  1. You guys should check out my weight loss blog too. I started in January and am wrapping it up... but just for the record i say toot your horn! You are doing great and setting a personal record or personal best is something to brag about.
    It motivates everyone else to be their best self too.
    Like the blog keep up the good work and tell your gorgeous wife hello for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.poundpinching2010.blogspot.com
    forgot that part

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I will check yours out!

    ReplyDelete